Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Kids These Days

A friend recently asked me if there are any wildlife like zebras running around in our backyards here, like deer often do in the States. Well, so far in Kigali, no. But I do encounter goats and chickens and dogs just about every time I go for a run. Sometimes they are being herded (the goats), but usually they just congregate in the road (all three). The dogs remind me very much of Guamanian Boonie Dogs. And people everywhere, especially little children, meet me in the road or say "hey, Muzungu!" The little kids often run along with me for a block or two in their flip-flops, or barefoot. They usually don't get at all winded or break a sweat. The school-aged kids usually shout out for me to give them money or chocolates or my water bottle. I just smile and say "Bon jour!" and hope they get bored running so slowly.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Andrea and family! I met Andrea in NO on a girls trip with Jane. Jane and I adopted our kids (some of them) from Taiwan and we became friends from a Yahoo board. Anyway, Jane shared your blog with us and we are very excited to follow it. I have been wondering where on Earth you would end up? Glad to see it is a place that needs you! I am so envious of your work and look forward to following your journey!!

    ReplyDelete